Labels

Friday, October 1, 2010

Brown sugar


I know, I just used a recipe with a ton of brown sugar in it for Heath toffee bits, but this is my blog, and I like brown sugar, okay?

The recipe I used comes from a blog called "Natalie's Killer Cuisine", and is called "Killer Brown Sugar Cookies".  It uses dark brown sugar, which I had to make a special trip to the grocery store to obtain.  The recipe also calls for a whopping 1 tablespoon of rum extract.

The recipe tells you to melt 10 tablespoons butter and heat it until it is light brown, then add 4 more tablespoons butter and whisk to melt.  A word of advice: DON"T DO THIS WITH A KITCHEN-AID MIXER.  Even at low speed, the mixer threw glops of melted butter out of the bowl and all over my shirt.  This was bad enough, but what made it even worse was that I was wearing my favorite St. Louis Cardinals shirt, which now has greasy stains on the front.  BAH!  (Maybe I should consider wearing an apron, but it just doesn't seem very manly...)

The cookies, like many I've baked recently, spread out a LOT and ended up very skinny.  I'm still experimenting with remedies for this problem - I'm going to try different cookie sheets next.  I've been using air-bake sheets, which may be part of the problem.  The cookies tasted okay, but they were pretty heavy on rum flavor.  They reminded me of Butter Rum Life Savers, which I remember eating by the truckload as a kid.

I may be old, but a roll of Life Savers was still more than 5 cents when I was a kid.
I'll give these a rating of 5 out of 10.  Seems like I've been making a lot of mediocre cookies since I started this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog