Labels

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Heath toffee bits


My first recipe of my periodic baking project is a cookie recipe.  I was going to start with biscotti, but my 7-year-old daughter informed me that I make too much biscotti - she likes cookies better.  Element 1 is hydrogen (symbol H), so I decided that Ingredient 1 would be Heath (toffee) bits.

Here is the recipe I tried - Brown Butter Heath Bit Cookies.  The recipe uses a lot of butter (2 sticks), and a lot of brown sugar (2 1/4 cups).  My cookies spread a lot on the baking sheets, and I ended up with large, flat, crisp cookies.  I tried refrigerating the cookie sheets and the cookie dough, but the cookies still spread.  I think that I probably should have added some flour to stiffen the dough a bit.



However, the cookies taste fantastic.  They are very butterscotch-y (is that a word?) and would probably go great with a cup of coffee (although, really, everything goes well with a cup of coffee).  My kids even liked them, although my 5-year-old said that they needed chocolate chips.

The cookies are done when they are the approximate color of our cat, Mobius.
All told, I'm going to give these cookies a 7 out of 10.  Since I just made up this rating, and this is my first batch of cookies for this totally nonsensical project, I don't yet know if that's really good or not!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, those sound quite good! Doesn't look like your recipe link is working, however. Sounds like Todd would probably agree about the chocolate chips, but I love butterscotchy-ness. (I don't think that's a word, either.)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog