Labels

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lithium

Okay, moving on to element number 3.  Lithium is the first metal on the periodic table, and is the lightest of the non-gaseous elements.  It's density is so low, in fact, that it will float on water.  However, it will react with that water to form bubbles of hydrogen gas, as well as lithium hydroxide, which will dissolve in the water.

Because of lithium's low density, it is often combined with other metals to form strong, lightweight alloys.  Compounds of lithium include lithium stearate (used in high-temperature greases) and lithium carbonate (used as medication to treat mental illness).

As I'm writing this, I find that I'm boring even myself.  For those of you who actually read this post, I apologize.  Here are some lyrics to "Lithium" by Nirvana to make up for it:

I'm so happy 'cause today
I found my friends
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, that's okay
'Cause so are you

Oh, and here's the chorus:

Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah

Truly, words that capture the essence of the early '90s.

1 comment:

  1. How is lithium the metal related to lithium the drug (which I assume is the lithium Kurt was singing about?) Or are they even related? Yes, I could Google, but I'm not gonna.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog